Some Simple Things You Can Do Now to Avoid Plumbing Problems
The weather’s starting to get warm and some of the first bulbs are poking their heads above the ground. It won’t be long and summer will be here. Here are some easy things you can do right now to ensure that you don’t find yourself facing a major plumbing problem this summer or fall.
- Inspect all inside and outside faucets for leaks or drips, so that you minimize the risk of either water damage or further deterioration of a faucet
- For the same reason, make certain there are no problems with your toilets. The best way?—Add a few drops of food coloring to the tank. If there’s a leak, you’ll see it in the bowl in a few minutes. While you’re checking the toilet, look for cracks or leaks, which will typically have some discoloration around them. Make certain the handle functions properly. If you have to hold the handle down or it’s loose, it’s probably time to replace the internal parts and the handle.
- Unless you regularly check your drains, you may have hair, soap or other buildup in sinks and showers.
- Turn supply valves on and off a few times, just to keep them from corroding or freezing in place.
- Confirm that your hot water heater is no higher than 120 degrees Fahrenheit. It’s a good idea to drain a few gallons of water from the tank, as that will remove some of the corrosion that collects inside.
- If you have sinks that rarely get used, pour a half gallon of water down each, so that you replace any water that’s been sitting in a trap
- Run the sump pump (if you have one) a few times to make certain it works properly
Public Service Plumbers
5610 Dyer Street
Dallas, Texas 75206
We offer plumbing installation and repair services to individuals and businesses throughout the Dallas-Fort Worth area, including Highland Park, University Park, Preston Hollow, Lakewood, Lake Highlands, Richardson, Plano, Frisco, McKinney, Allen, Coppell, Garland, Mesquite, Addison, Kessler Park, Farmers Branch, Grapevine, Southlake, Flower Mound and Lewisville.
We bring more than five decades of experience to our client. No job is too big or too small. Every member of our team has been in the plumbing trades for at least 10 years. In addition, our support staff offers more than 100 years of combined experience in the plumbing business.